If want to drive a little further than 2-3 hours and soak in a night (or two) away from Prince George then you’ve come to the write post. These are our favourite overnight trips and camping trips we’ve taken over the years that we can’t wait to do again.
Smithers is located 4-5 hours depending on driving conditions from Prince George. This mountain town is a great weekend getaway for food, hiking, and community. Stay in one of the local hotels (check before you go) or stay at the Riverside camp ground.
- Daytrip to Hazelton to visit the K’san Heritage Village, enjoy the Skeena Bakery, and soak in the local communities (take a drive over the bridge to Old Hazelton).
- Take in the trails from Twin Falls to Driftwood Canyon Park
- Spend a day at Tyhee Lake
Check out our post on 48 hours in Tumbler Ridge. The scenic drive through the Pine Pass with a stop at Bijoux Falls is a great road trip drive (unless you have queazy kids). Tumbler Ridge is located 4-5 hours North of Prince George.
- Dinosaur Gallery
- Quality Falls or any of the other amazing waterfalls in the region.
- Relaxing in town.
The Robson Valley is 3-4 hours East of Prince George with The Ancient Forest along the way. Find a campground or hotel from McBride to Valemount and enjoy the landscape.
- Go up McBride Peek it’s a bit of a rough drive if you’re into that.
- Hike Robson Mountain or check out another trail like Swift Creek in Valemount or Jack Pine Trails.
- Historic Buildings in Valemount, Dunster and McBride.
- Stop into the Beanery for lunch in McBride or the Valemount Swiss Bakery or stop in for local beer at Three Ranges in Valemount.
A Few More Weekend Trips form Prince George
- Make a weekend of a trip to Barkerville Historic Site.
- Take in Fort St. James Historic Site and Stewart Lake
- Explore Williams Lake or neighbouring communities like Horsefly Lake, Quesnel Lake and more.
- Beaumont Provincial Park on Fraser Lake is a great camping spot for families.
- Explore the Lakes District, take the ferry across Francois Lake and find somewhere to just be.
- Venture up to Hudsons Hope for Dams, Dinosaurs, and the Peace River.
- Soak in the mountains in Jasper with so much to do both winter and summer.
Where is your favourite weekend getaway from Prince George? Tell us about your trips in the comments and inspire us to get away from the bustle of town.
Not what you’re looking for?