Nick and Kaitlyn's Birth Story - UHNBC Birth

Nick & Kaitlyn’s Birth Story

Today, we are excited to share Kaitlyn’s Birth Story. Her husband originally shared this story on his blog – Our Cabin Life. This post has his story, and hers as they share about coming to Prince George for the birth of their daughter.

Do you want to share your birth story? Are you a Northern Parent? Email your story to hello [at] northernbcmoms [dot] ca to have yours featured on Northern BC Moms. You don’t need to be an amazing writer or have any blogging experience. Just a passion to share your story, we can help with the rest. 

To read other birth stories go here. 

Nick’s Version of the Birth.

Our week started fairly normally, with me pottering around the garden (yard) and heading out looking for wildlife.

I decided on Monday that I wanted to head up a forest service road and see if I could find a waterfall and some grizzly bears. Kaitlyn’s Mum (Mom) and aunty are currently staying too, so we all piled in the truck and we sped off to the forest road.  I attempted to break Kaitlyn’s water on the drive due to an extremely bumpy road, I’m glad I didn’t because to get to the 36km mark took the best part of an hour and a half. Sadly, we didn’t find the falls, but we did see several black bears so not all was lost.

Then on Wednesday after Kaitlyn had felt several twinges and her water broke, we decided to head into town to be closer to the hospital and thank god we did! We met the midwife at 10 pm for a check-up and after a quick assessment, she reassured us that baby wouldn’t be with us for a while yet and we should go home and wait for her contractions to increase in regularity.

Well home for us is a fair distance away as you well know, so we went off in search of a hotel. We managed to find a really nice one, and as I climbed into an exceptionally comfortable bed at approximately midnight I knew I was in for an excellent night’s sleep.

However, my hopes were dashed at 2am when I was rudely awoken my Kaitlyn’s cries.

“Call the midwife,” she yelled at me, struggling to speak through her labour contractions.

My initial thoughts were, call her yourself, but luckily my mouth managed to stay firmly shut and instead I opted to call the midwife.

There was of course no answer.

I did what any loving husband would do and fell back to sleep, only to be woken up by Kaitlyn’s moaning once again, thinking to myself that she needed to be quiet, as she was going to disturb the other guests.

I must admit I wasn’t fully awake at this point so excuse my lack of empathy. She declared that she was going to have a shower to see if it would ease the pain, but at 2:30 am and still no answer from the midwife, things were really hotting up and I thought I was going to have to deliver the baby in a hotel room or to be precise the hotel bathroom.

Sod that!

I got my brain in gear, put on some clothes and helped Kaitlyn get ready, telling her we had to go to the hospital.

She didn’t argue.

Managing to escort her to the hotel reception, I left her there to struggle out the door while I ran for the car. By all accounts, the receptionist did ask if she was okay, and Kaitlyn said she was fine, so she left her to it.

Being a man of the world, I know when a woman says she’s fine, this, in fact, means she is anything from it, but this receptionist must not have known this.

Anyway, I pulled up out the front of the hotel and Kaitlyn, between screams, managed to climb into the car. I raced out of the car park and headed to the hospital, straight away I was confronted with a red light. I slowed down to stop but Kaitlyn shouted at me to keep going. Who was I to argue with her as she sounded pretty upset, so I just put my foot down. 30 seconds later she decides to announce that the baby was coming.

Well, this put the wind right up me and all of a sudden, I became the rally champion of British Columbia, speeding over 100 through the centre of town, jumping red lights. I had visions of a police car trying to pull me over but luckily they didn’t see me.

I pulled up outside the hospital at 2:44 am and ran Kaitlyn inside.

We had to get through a security door first and looking back at it now the poor security guard was in a real panic. First trying to open the door and secondly trying to get a wheelchair for Kaitlyn when the nurse shouted at him.

He wasn’t the only traumatised individual that night caused by Kaitlyn’s state. A poor child was being walked out of Emergency by his father at the exact moment we came in. I heard the father try and tell the boy that there was a baby coming, but I think he is now scarred for life and there is almost a 100% chance he never wants children when he grows up.

Eventually, the security guard produced a wheelchair and the nurse (well we think it was a nurse, it could have been the cleaning lady for all we know,) ran Kaitlyn to the maternity ward with me in hot pursuit.

We swung into the ward where our arrival was declared by the nurse/cleaner shouting for assistance. We got Kaitlyn in a delivery suite, where she promptly took all her clothes off and jumped on the bed, asking anyone who would listen for pain relief. The maternity nurse informed Kaitlyn that it was too late for that and before the nurse could even get her gloves on baby Frances came flying into the world.

At 2:50 am I was holding my newborn daughter, how’s that for timing.

So, that’s our birth story. I’m pleased to report Mum and baby are doing well and back home now.

Nick and Kaitlyn's Birth Story - UHNBC Birth

Kaitlyn’s Version of her Birth Story

On Wednesday afternoon around 3 pm, my water started leaking.  When it broke with my son, I had felt a pop and then a big gush, so I wasn’t sure if it was truly my water breaking or if I had just peed my pants.  I was having very irregular and mild contractions as well, so we called our midwife to let her know.

Because we live 1.5 hours outside of Prince George, she advised us to come to town and she would see if my water had truly broken.  We had a nice supper at home and then headed to town.  We met her at the hospital around 10pm and she confirmed that my water had indeed broken, but contractions were only 7-8 mins apart and lasting 30 seconds.  She said to go and get some rest, and call her when the contractions were 1 min long and 3-4 mins apart.

The SECOND we left the hospital, my contractions ramped up to 90 seconds long, but were still manageable and still 7 mins apart.

We went to a hotel and climbed into bed at midnight.  I lay there in the dark, timing the contractions, and imagined that I was blowing a boat over a big wave during each one (I have no idea where this image came from – it just popped into my head and it helped me get through each one!)

 Suddenly at 2 am, I had a very painful contraction.

The next one was the same.

And the next one.

They were still only 7 mins apart.

At that time I thought “I can’t do this!!!” and woke up my husband.

I told him to call the midwife and that I was going to get in the shower to try and relieve the pain.  I thought that I must still be in early labour because they weren’t 3-4 mins apart yet, and there was no way I could deal with that pain if this was going to go on for awhile.  But once I got in the shower, I suddenly felt like the baby was going to come out….but I could barely speak to tell this to Nick!

Luckily he came into the bathroom and said we should probably get to the hospital.  He had to help me get dressed and then ran to get the truck.  I stood outside in the parking lot yelling in pain while he drove up (sorry to all the guests at the Sandman on May 30th!)

That ride to the hospital was terrifying…I thought the baby was going to come out in the truck.

I couldn’t sit down, I was holding myself up, and at one point I tried to push as I thought that would relieve some of the pain.  I immediately thought to myself “Bad idea!  Bad idea!” so I stopped pushing and we then arrived at the emergency room doors.

The triage nurse and Nick tried to strong arm me into a wheelchair, but I couldn’t sit, and the nurse ran me to the maternity ward as I stood on the front pedals of the wheelchair.  The nurses in the maternity ward ushered us into a delivery room and I whipped off my clothes and shouted that I needed something for the pain.

Lizann, the wonderful nurse that was working that night, told me that she needed to check me first, and quickly discovered that there was no time for pain relief and with 2 pushes, our baby was born.  Lizann put the baby on my chest and after a few minutes of laughing in disbelief, Nick looked between the baby’s legs and told me “It’s a girl!!!”

We got to the hospital at 2:44am and she was born at 2:50.  After 24 hours of induction and 3 hours of pushing for my son’s birth, this was quite the unexpected experience!

We had the best care from the nurses in the maternity ward and NICU.  We cannot thank you enough for being a special part of the beginning of our daughter’s life.  Thank you especially to Lizann, who made me feel like I could do it when I thought I could not.

Do you want to share your birth story? Are you a Northern Parent? Email your story to hello [at] northernbcmoms [dot] ca to have yours featured on Northern BC Moms. You don’t need to be an amazing writer or have any blogging experience. Just a passion to share your story, we can help with the rest. 

To read other birth stories go here. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *