Prince George is a great little Northern BC city but sometimes it’s fun to escape. Northern BC is full of many great road trips but we’re going to keep this list to things you could do in a day from Prince George with your family. These are trips we have done in a day and some of them are better enjoyed over a weekend, but if you’re not into paying for hotels or campsites, then make the trip back home.
- Barkerville, British Columbia: Located about 3 hours South from Prince George the Barkerville National Historic Site is best enjoyed in two days, but easily soaked up in a day with kids with the reception centre being opened from 8am to 6:30 pm during the summer months.
- Fort St. James, British Columbia: Another amazing historic site located less than 3 hours Northwest from Prince George. Fort St. James National Historic Site is situated on stunning Stewart Lake and features weekend events, daily characters, and some really cool interior buildings. Stop into Woody’s in Vanderhoof for fresh-baked goods and soak in a day on the lake.
- The Ancient Forest/Chun T’oh Whudujut Park: about an hour to the east of Prince George on Highway 16 is The Ancient Forest a protected inland rainforest. The trail can get busy on nice summer days with a variety of loops and options depending on how long of a visit you want to make it. The trail is wood plank but not suitable for strollers as there are a fair number of steps and stairs. There is one portion (15 minutes or so) that is wheelchair accessible to the waterfall view.
- Chase Waterfalls: the list of waterfalls is far more extensive than this one we made here, but there are plenty of falls from War Falls to Hixon Falls to Greer Creek that make excellent day trips for eager family adventurers from Prince George.
- Take in a Trail: Not into waterfalls? Stop into the Visitor Information centre for maps and guides of the local trails in Prince George. Need some inspiration? Might we suggest Goodsir Nature Park, Eskers, or the Great West Life Mobility Trail if out for an adventure with kids. These are trails we’ve tackled with walking toddlers.
Let us know about your favourite day trips from Prince George in the comments below. We’d love some inspiration for this summer and to share great ideas with other families in the North.
- Looking for a lake to explore with the family?
- Or maybe you want to chase waterfalls?
- Ready to settle in for a weekend of camping but want to stay close to town? Check out these local spots.
- Not interested in leaving town. Check out these indoor play spaces.